Prep Time: 15 mins – Cook Time: 15 mins – Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 lb (450 gram) firm tofu block
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb (450 gram) total of mixed vegetables (carrots, celery, enoki mushroom), thinly sliced
- 1-2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon mushroom sauce (*)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or sake)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1-2 scallions, thinly sliced (for garnish, optional)
- Drain tofu really well, and cut into 12 pieces.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until the pan is hot, then lower to a medium. Add oil to the pan, and arrange tofu on the pan. Let the tofu sit undisturbed for 3-4 minutes, they should self-release and have a golden brown skin. Flip to the other side, again let it sit for another 3-4 minutes. Remove the tofu from the pan and set aside.
- If you have about 1 tablespoon of oil remaining on the pan, no need to add oil, otherwise, add a bit of oil. Sauté garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add vegetables and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften a little.
- Season with mushroom sauce, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, ground pepper, and sugar. Once the sauce bubbles, return fried tofu to the pan and gently toss to coat.
- Turn off heat, add sliced scallions, and serve with steamed white rice.
This condensed recipe was found first at vforveggy.com. We do not own the recipe or photos, but am thankful for letting us share!