Prep Time: 15 mins – Cook Time: 15 mins
- 5 tortillas , flour (approx 20cm/8″ wide)
- 1 tsp each onion powder, dried oregano, salt
- 2 tsp each dried cumin powder, paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional, adjust to taste)
- 600g / 1.2 lb chicken breast , sliced in half horizontally (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , separated
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1 red capsicum/bell pepper , diced
- 400g/14oz refried beans , canned (Note 2)
- 1/4 cup water
Rice – ONLY PICK ONE:
- 2.5 cups white rice , plain (cooked, Note 3)
- 2.5 cups Mexican Red Rice (the best for Burritos!)
- 400g/14oz canned corn , drained (or 280g/9oz frozen thawed)
- 1.5 cups (150g) cheese , shredded (Mexican blend, cheddar, tasty, Montery Jack)
- 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro , finely chopped
Sauce for dunking – choose:
- Avocado sauce
- Sour cream
- Salsa (restaurant style, smooth)
- Burrito Seasoning – Mix Seasoning ingredients. Drizzle 1 tbsp oil over chicken, mix to coat. Sprinkle with Seasoning, toss to coat.
- Cook chicken – Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add chicken, cook 2 minutes. Turn and cook 1.5 minutes. Remove, rest 2 minutes then chop.
- Saute onion – In the same skillet, add onion and garlic, cook 1 minute. Add capsicum, cook 2 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Finish Filling – Add refried beans, diced chicken and water. Stir and cook for 2 minutes until reduces slightly. Should be thick and juicy, not watery and not dry/stodgy! Let cool 5 minutes – will thicken.
- Gently warm tortillas in microwave (makes them pliable), lay on work surface.
- Place rice on lower third, top with Chicken Filling, corn, cheese then sprinkle with coriander. Fold up, burrito style.
- Toasting: Either pan fry over medium high heat (no oil) for 2 minutes each side to make tortilla crispy and melt cheese a bit OR wrap tightly in foil and bake in oven 10 minutes at 180°C/350°F.
- Dunk in sauce(s) of choice or douse with hot sauce of choice, and devour! Suggestions: Avocado Sauce, Guacamole, sour cream, Restaurant Style Salsa, Queso, Nacho Cheese Dip.
- Freezer friendly! Note 4 for directions.
- Chicken breast – slice in half horizontally to make 2 thin steaks out of each breast. I do this so there’s more surface area to coat in the spice mix!
- Refried beans – secret ingredient! Makes the burrito filling juicy and holds it all together, rather than dry and crumbly (which too many burritos are!)Substitution: Saute 1 garlic clove minced in a little oil until golden. Add 1 can pinto, red kidney or black beans with 1/4 cup of the liquid in the can, 1/2 tsp each cumin, onion and paprika powder. Stir few minutes until beans thoroughly heated then mash or puree.Any beans will actually work just fine, just a different colour!
- Rice – you’ll need 1 cup of uncooked rice to make 2.5 cups cooked rice. See here for instructions for how to cook plain rice, or make Mexican Red Rice!
- Storage – Wrap in cling wrap or foil, fridge for 4 days or freeze. Best to warm in oven – 15 minutes at 180C/350F wrapped in foil. Frozen – thaw overnight then warm in oven 15 minutes. To reheat from frozen, wrap in foil and place in oven for 40 minutes at 180C/350F
This recipe was found at recipetineats.com, we just simply shared it! We don’t own the photos or recipe, just took out all the fluff!