PREP: 10 mins – COOK: 20 mins – TOTAL: 30 mins
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (halved)
- 10 ounces whole wheat pasta (such as penne, linguini, or fettuccine // use less if you want a higher sauce:pasta ratio // use gluten-free pasta for GF eaters)
- Olive oil
- 2 medium shallots (diced // 2 medium shallots yield ~1/4 cup or 40 g)
- 8 large cloves garlic (minced/grated // 8 large cloves yield ~1/4 cup or 24 g)
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour (or another thickener of choice)*
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plain Almond Breeze
- 2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan parmesan cheese (optional // plus more for serving)
- 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and toss tomatoes in a bit of olive oil and sea salt. Place cut side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the dish. Then set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain, cover and set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 1 Tbsp (15 ml // use more, as needed, if increasing batch size) olive oil and the garlic and shallot. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper and stir frequently, cooking for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant.
- Stir in flour (or other thickener of choice – see notes) and mix with a whisk. Once combined, slowly whisk in the almond milk a little at a time so clumps don’t form. Then add nutritional yeast, another healthy pinch of salt and black pepper, and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste, more minced/pressed garlic for zing, or more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor. Optional: You can also add 1-2 Tbsp of vegan parmesan for extra flavor at this time. Some readers also enjoyed adding 1-2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice at this time for some brightness / acidity.)
- If you want an ultra creamy sauce, transfer sauce to a blender (or use an immersion blender) to blend the sauce until creamy and smooth. Place back in pan and reduce heat to a low simmer until desired thickness is reached.
- Once the sauce is to your desired thickness, taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then add pasta and roasted tomatoes and stir.
- Serve immediately and garnish with extra black pepper, fresh basil, and/or vegan parmesan cheese. Best when fresh, but will keep for up to 2 days in fridge.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by MinimalistBaker.com, we just shared it! They have so many awesome ideas, you should check them out!