Prep: 20 mins – Cook: 15 mins – Total: 35 mins
- 400g macaroni
- 75g butter
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 1 small brown onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 150ml cream
- 500ml milk
- 1 1/2 cup cheese plus extra 1/2 cup for topping
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 150g zucchini grated
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Parsley to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 190c and lightly grease a large baking dish
- Cook pasta according to the packet instructions in a large pot, making sure to cook al dente and draining the water as soon as it has cooked through.
- Meanwhile make the béchamel by melting the butter over a medium low heat. Add in the diced onion and garlic and cook through until softened. For around 3-4 minutes
- Add in the flour and whisk quickly cooking off for around 1 minute
- Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk so no lumps form and continue to do this with the milk. This process will take around 5-10 minutes.
- When the sauce has thickened, add in the cheeses, zucchini, mustard and season with salt and pepper and simmer until the cheese has melted, stirring to make sure the mixture does not catch.
- Add the cheese sauce to the drained macaroni and stir through. Transfer to your baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake for around 10-15 minutes until these cheese has melted on the top and turns slightly golden.
- Cool slightly, sprinkle with parsley if using and serve.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by goodiegoodielunchbox.com.au, we just shared it! They have so many other great ideas, definitely check them out!