Prep: 5 mins – Cook: 10 mins
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ – 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- ½ bunch spring onions (about 5), tops and whites sliced but kept separate
- 1 tsp cumin, plus a little extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ⅓ pack coriander, chopped
- 400g can chickpeas in water, drained but liquid reserved
- ½ tsp reduced-salt bouillon powder (we used Marigold)
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a non-stick sauté pan, add the garlic, pepper, chilli and the whites from the spring onions, and fry for 5 mins over a medium-high heat. Meanwhile, put a large pan of water on to boil.
- Add the spices, tomatoes, most of the coriander and the chickpeas to the sauté pan and cook for 1-2 mins more. Stir in the bouillon powder and enough liquid from the chickpeas to moisten everything, and leave to simmer gently.
- Once the water is at a rolling boil, crack in your eggs and poach for 2 mins, then remove with a slotted spoon. Stir the spring onion tops into the chickpeas, then very lightly crush a few of the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher. Spoon the chickpea mixture onto plates, scatter with the reserved coriander and top with the eggs. Serve with an extra sprinkle of cumin, if you like.
This awesome recipe and photos were created by BBCGoodFood.com, we just shared it! Check them out for more ideas!