Prep: 15 mins – Cook: 50 mins
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head cauliflower core removed and chopped into small florets
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 4 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- 5 cups broccoli fresh florets or frozen
- 1-2 large carrots diced (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese plus more for sprinkling on top, if desired
- green onions for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, nutmeg, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for at least 15-20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very tender (soft enough to mash with a fork).
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot over medium heat and add the broccoli and carrots. Bring to simmer and cook 20-25 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender (if you use frozen broccoli, you’ll only need to cook until the broccoli is thawed and heated through).
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cheese a little at a time. The soup will be pretty thick. If you want a thinner soup, add additional broth or water to reach a desired consistency. Taste and season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve soup sprinkled with additional shredded cheese and green onions.
This awesome recipe and photos were created by EatingBirdFood.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more great ideas!