Prep Time: 30 mins – Cook Time: 55 mins
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup Grated carrots
- 1 cup Celery, minced
- 1 cup Onions, finely minced
- 1 cup Walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils (brown or green), rinsed in a fine mesh sieve
- 1 (24) oz jar Marinara
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Wide pasta noodles, such as pappardelle or tagliatelle
- Parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan or braiser heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery and onions and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and lentils along with the salt, water and jar of marinara. Stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium-low for 45 minutes stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens.
- When the lentils have reached your desired tenderness, transfer 2 cups of the sauce to a blender or food processor. Blend until nearly smooth. Add the blended sauce back to the pan and stir to combine. Blending is an optional step, but it helps add a creaminess without the need to add cream.
- Remove from heat, and serve over your favorite pasta —such as pappardelle or tagliatelle—and top with freshly grated or vegan parmesan cheese.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by TheModernProper.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out as they have so many great ideas!