Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 2 hrs – Total: 2 hrs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 pound dried black beans (rinsed)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 6 cups water (or more as needed)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the beans thoroughly and remove any bad seeds from the bunch.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large Dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat. Allow oil to warm up.
- Add the diced onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in the black beans, dried parsley, oregano, cumin, and bay leaves. Add enough water to cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and take out the bay leaves.
- Lastly, mix in the paprika, chili powder and lime juice. Season with salt. Squeeze some lemon or lime juice for a tangy twist.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by InsanelyGoodRecipes.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more delicious recipes!