Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 25 mins – Total: 35 mins
- 1 tsp oil or use 3 tbsp broth
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves (cloves) of garlic , finely chopped
- 1 cup (128 g) chopped carrots
- 4 celery stalks , chopped small
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning or 1/2 tsp sage, generous dashes of rosemary, nutmeg, marjoram
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp or more black pepper to taste
- 4.5 to 5 cups (1064.65 ml) broth
- 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1.25 cups cooked
- 1/2 tsp salt , less or more depending on if the veggie broth is salted
- 1 to 2 tsp soy sauce , tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for soy-free
- 1/3 cup (61.67 g) long grain white rice , (I use white basmati, see notes for brown rice), washed well and drained
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook for 2 mins Add celery, herbs, spices and mix in. Cook for 2 mins
- Add the broth, chickpeas, salt, soy sauce and mix.
- Add the rice and bring to a rolling boil. Cook partially covered for 12 to 15 mins until rice is cooked and the flavors have developed.
- Taste and adjust salt and flavor. Add more herbs, some garlic powder, lime juice, black or white pepper if needed. Serve the soup garnished with parsley or cilantro
This delicious recipe and photos were created by VeganRicha.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out for more great ideas!