Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 5 mins – Total: 15 mins
- 6 oz / 180 g fresh chow mein noodles
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups shredded Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 cup carrot , julienned
- 2 scallion/shallot stems , cut into 2″/4cm pieces
- 1 cup bean sprouts
Tofu and marinade
- 5 oz / 150 g firm tofu , sliced
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chilli garlic sauce or sriracha (optional)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- White pepper
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions (usually soaking it in boiling water).
- Combine tofu with marinade and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in wok over high heat, add garlic and stir fry for 10 seconds.
- Add tofu and stir fry until starting to caramelise – about 1 minute. Stir fry gently so the tofu doesn’t break.
- Add the cabbage and carrot and stir fry until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- Add the noodles, scallions/shallots, bean sprouts and sauce and stir fry until the noodles are warmed through and sauce evenly coats the noodles – about 1 minute. Don’t cook it too much – the bean sprouts should still be quite crisp, not wilted.
- Serve immediately.
Directions using homemade Real Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
- If you have a jar of homemade Real Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce, you do not need to make the marinade or sauce for this recipe.
- Substitute the tofu marinade with 1 tbsp Stir Fry Sauce
- Substitute the Sauce ingredients with 1/4 cup Stir Fry Sauce and 1/4 cup water.
This recipe and photos were created by RecipeTinEats.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out as they have so many great ideas!