Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1¾ pounds fresh tomatoes, halved (or one 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and halved)
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, top third cut off to expose the cloves
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange the tomatoes, onion and garlic on the baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over everything (including the garlic). Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until the tomatoes start to blister, the onion is tender and the garlic is caramelized, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatoes and onions to a large saucepan. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of the skin and into the saucepan. Add the broth, bay leaf and thyme, and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer until the flavor has developed and concentrated, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish each bowl with some of the basil and goat cheese before serving.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by PureWow.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more delicious ideas!