Prep: 5 mins – Cook: 35 mins – Total: 40-45 mins
- 1 batch homemade French Fries, or a 28 z. bag of frozen fries
- 6 oz. cheese curds or cubed mozzarella cheese
- 1 batch homemade brown gravy, or use a packet
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Prepare the French Fries
- I recommend making my homemade French fries. Otherwise frozen French fries can be baked per package instructions, or fried as follows:
- Heat oil to 300 degrees in a deep fryer or dutch ovenTIP: Using a candy/deep frying thermometer makes it easy to tell when the oil is ready.
- Add the fries to the oil in batches, don’t overcrowd them. Fry for about 5 minutes, then place them on a paper towel lined plate. This is enough to cook them through without browning the outside yet and is the best method for extra crispy fries.
- Increase heat to 400 degrees and fry in batches a second time, until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside. Place on paper towels.
Add the Cheese and Bake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the fries on a baking sheet and sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is just melted.
Prepare the Gravy
- This recipe for homemade beef gravy is perfect for Poutine and takes just 10 minutes. Otherwise, prepare a packet according to package instructions. You can also make my easy Chicken Gravy recipe.
- Drizzle the gravy over the fries and serve immediately!
This amazing recipe and photos were created by TheCozyCook.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out as they have so many great ideas!