Prep: 40 mins – Cook: 30 mins – Total: 70 mins
- 2/3 cup mini marshmallows, plus extra to decorate
- 1/4 cup red glace cherries
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts, plus extra chopped peanuts, to decorate
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 40g dark chocolate, melted, to decorate
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut, toasted
- Maraschino cherries, to serve
- Chocolate shortcrust pastry
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp Dutch processed cocoa
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 150g butter, chilled, chopped
- Chocolate custard
- 2/3 cup custard powder
- 2 tsp Dutch processed cocoa
- 2 cups milk
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- Make Chocolate shortcrust pastry: Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 22.5cm (base) round loose-based fluted tart pan. Place on a baking tray. Place flour, cocoa and sugar in a food processor. Process until combined. Add butter. Process until fine crumbs. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons iced water. Process until pastry just comes together. Shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm-thick and large enough to fit the prepared tart pan. Line base and side of pan with pastry. Fold excess pastry over edges. Prick base with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Blind-bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights. Bake for a further 15 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, make Chocolate custard Place custard powder and cocoa in a medium saucepan. Whisk until combined. Whisk in 1/3 of milk until smooth. Whisk in remaining milk. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes, over medium-high heat or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate. Stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add marshmallows, cherries and peanuts to custard. Stir until combined. Using a small serrated knife, trim excess pastry from tart case. Carefully transfer tart case from pan to a serving plate and fill with custard. Level top with a spatula. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and sugar on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Dollop mixture over custard. Using a spatula, make furrows in top. Using a blowtorch, brown meringue until top is golden (see note). Drizzle with melted chocolate. Decorate with extra marshmallows and peanuts. Sprinkle with coconut. Top with cherries. Serve.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by Taste.com.au, we simply shared it! Please check them out for more great ideas!