Prep: 25 mins – Cook: 15 mins – Total: 40 mins
Garlic Green Tahini
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, parsley, dill, or a mix
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup chopped veggies, such as carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, or a mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour use gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, parsley, or a mix
- kosher salt and black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil, for cooking
- 3/4 cup shredded gouda or Havarti cheese
- 6 fresh naan or pitas, warmed
- pickled red onion, lettuce, and herbs, for serving
Spicy Harissa Oil
- 1/3 cup harissa sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- To make the tahini. Combine all ingredients and 1/4 cup water in a blender and blend until smooth. If needed, add water to thin the sauce as desired. Season to taste with salt.
- To make the falafel. Add the veggies to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the chickpeas, flour, sesame seeds, garlic, cumin, cilantro, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is combined and mostly smooth. If the mix is dry, add 1 tablespoon water at a time until it holds a ball. Roll the dough into rounded tablespoon size balls, then gently flatten them down into 1/2 inch patties.
- Preheat the the broiler. Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet set over medium heat. Add the falafel and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until deeply golden and crispy. Remove from the heat. Add cheese to each, then place the pan in the oven for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese. Watch closely.
- To make the harissa oil. Combine all ingredients in a glass jar. Season to taste with salt.
- To assemble, spread the tahini on warmed naan, add lettuce, the falafel, and a spoonful of harissa oil. Top as desired with herbs, onions, and any amounts of additional sauce. Enjoy!
This delicious recipe and photos were created by HalfBakedHarvest.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!