Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 60 mins – Total: 70 mins
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves important!
- 2 tbsp tahini or smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1 cup vegetable broth, warm or hot not cold
Smokey Sweet Maple Glaze
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 drops liquid smoke
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/3 cup apricot jam depending on how sweet you like it
Caramelized Pineapple and Orange slices, optional
- 1 pineapple cored and sliced into rings
- 2 navel oranges sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/3 cup cloves for garnish, optional
- Mix up all the ingredients to your glaze and set aside. It will be strongly flavored. Play with the balance of flavors to your own taste.
Vegan Ham Roast
- Heat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit. In a large bowl stir together the dry ingredients (the first 7 ingredients) until combined.In another bowl stir together all the the wet ingredients (tahini trough vegetable broth) until smooth.
- Pour the wet into the dry and stir until a dough forms. I like to do my kneading in the stand mixer with a dough hook but you can knead it by hand as well. If you re using the stand mixer the place the dough in the stand mixer and allow it to knead with the dough hook for 6 minutes on medium speed. I think the texture is much better when I use the stand mixer. It makes for a denser loaf.If you are kneading by hand then you will need to knead for 10 minutes until the dough is super dense and rubbery.
- Here is how I got my ham shaped vegan ham. I rolled my seitan dough into a ball and placed it on a square of plastic wrap. I then enclosed it and pulled the plastic tight around it until it was a smooth roast like soap. I then removed it from the plastic, brushed it with 1 tablespoon of the marinade and wrapped it tightly in aluminum foil. The dough will try to expand during baking and I find the more I constrict its “rise” the denser and toothsome the final texture.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350, turning every 15 minutes to ensure even baking. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. You can store it at this point wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Once completely cool, score the outside of your Vegan ham into a diamond pattern with a sharp knife and insert a clove into the center of each diamond. See photo. Place the roast on a baking pan and surround with sliced pineapples and oranges. Brush with glaze.
- Bake 15 minutes at 375 Fahrenheit brushing with glaze as often as possible until fully heated. If you desire a brown exterior the place under the broiler on high for 4-5 minutes. Serve with any extra glaze.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by SunnySideHanne.com, we simply shared it! Please check them out for more great ideas!