- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total: 20 mins
- 3 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes (12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 eggs (or substitute Tofu Scramble for vegan)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 8 small tortillas (flour for authentic, corn for gluten-free)
- Fresh cilantro, torn
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Pickled red onions (optional)
- Jalapeno slices or pickled jalapeños (optional)
- Cook the potatoes: Cook the diced hash brown potatoes from frozen, according to the package instructions. Or heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a skillet and add the potatoes, cooking 12 to 15 minutes and stirring occasionally until browned. In the last minute or so, add 1 tablespoon butter. Season with about 1/4 teaspoon salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Scramble the eggs: In a medium bowl, crack the eggs and whisk them together until well-beaten. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and plenty of fresh ground pepper. In a skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Tilt the pan to ensure the entire pan is coated in the melted butter. Pour in the eggs. Keep the heat on medium. When the eggs just start to set, use a flat spatula to slowly scrape sections of eggs, creating folds. Scrape occasionally until the eggs form soft folds, about 1 to 2 minutes total. Add the cheese and remove them from the heat just before they are fully hardened.
- Warm the tortillas: Warm and char the tortillas by placing them on an open gas flame on medium for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm.
- Assemble the tacos: Place the potatoes and scrambled eggs into the warmed tortillas. Top with pickled onions, fresh cilantro, salsa, hot sauce, pickled onions, and jalapeno slices. Serve immediately.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by ACoupleCooks.com, we simply shared it! Check them out for more great ideas!