- 8 ounces tempeh
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, , drained
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon black Indian salt, (Kala Namak)
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil
- 6 sheets fillo dough, (the very thin layers)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices tomato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon black Indian salt, (Kala Namak)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of ground turmeric
To make tempeh ham:
- Slice tempeh in half, diagonally, then in half to create 4 thin triangles. In a wide/shallow bowl or food container whisk together water, tamari, maple syrup and liquid smoke. Marinate tempeh for 30 minutes, while preparing eggy tofu.
- After you cook the tofu, keep the pan hot at medium heat. Place the tempeh slices in the pan and pour marinade over it. Cook for 3 minutes on both sides, uncovered. Get ready to assemble pockets.
To make eggy tofu:
- Slice the tofu into half, diagonally and then cut one half into 4 thin triangles. (use the excess tofu in another recipe) In a small bowl, whisk the nutritional yeast, black Indian salt, black pepper, and salt together. Dust each side of the tofu with this mixture.
- In a large pan, warm the coconut oil over medium heat. Once hot, place tofu triangles in it and brown the two largest surfaces of them for 5 minutes, each. Adjust temp to medium-low and place tofu on a plate.
Directions For Assembly
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Lightly brush each sheet of fillo with olive oil. Layer fillo sheets on top of each other and slice them in half, lengthwise. Split them into 4 rectangles, three sheets thick.
- Place a triangle of tempeh toward one end of a rectangle, leaving roughly 1-inch of fillo bordering it on 3 sides. Top tempeh with eggy tofu, 1/4 cup spinach and one tomato slice.
- Fold the 1-inch border of the long side over the filling, and then fold over the 1-inch flap on the end. Now, holding it together, fold the triangle of filled fillo over to one side, then the next, and more until it is fully wrapped.
- Brush a little oil on top of the pockets and place them on lined baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Make hollandaise sauce while pockets are baking.
- Once pockets are baked, top with sauce, a dash of smoked paprika and pinch of parsley on each one.
Directions For Hollandaise Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer sauce to a large saute pan and bring to a simmer, over medium-low heat, whisking frequently. Continue whisking and cook until the sauce has thickened and is not grainy from the chickpea flour. Adjust heat to low, to keep warm for serving.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by VeganYackAttack.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!