Prep: 35 mins – Cook: 20 mins – Total: 120 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + more to dust the dough and surfaces
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white sugar (make sure it’s vegan!)
- 3/4 tablespoon olive oil + more to coat the dough
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon water
Baking Soda Bath
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 garlic clove – minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pretzel salt
- Combine the flour, instant yeast, salt, and white sugar in a mixing bowl. Add olive oil and water. Mix and knead by hand until a soft dough forms or put all the ingredients kitchen machine and let the machine knead the dough for you. If it’s too sticky, you might want to add a few tablespoons more flour until the dough is non-sticky.
- Drizzle the dough with more olive oil until coated. Let it sit, covered with a clean kitchen towel, in a warm spot until it doubles in size (about 2-3 hours – depending on the room temperature!).
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts, roll each part into a rope (about 6 inches / 15cm). Make a knot (check out the 2nd image of the post for visual instructions) and repeat for the rest.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Bring the water for the baking soda bath to a boil in a medium pot. Add the baking soda.
- Cook each knot in the baking soda bath for about one minute. Transfer them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Mix the minced garlic, olive oil and dried oregano for the garlic topping. Brush the mixture onto the top of the Pretzel Knots. Sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden. They are absolutely delicious with my go-to vegan cheese sauce!
This delicious recipe and photos were created by ElephantasticVegan.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!