Prep: 10 mins – Cook: 5 mins – Total: 15 mins
French Toast Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups oat milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Coconut oil or vegan butter for frying
- 8-10 slices of crusty bread such as country white bread, ciabatta or sourdough, cut into thick slices (day-old bread is preferable*)
- For serving: pure maple syrup, Berry Compote (optional), or vegan whipped cream (optional)
Simple Berry Compote Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups (~180-200g) mixed berries of choice*, fresh or frozen and defrosted
- 1/3 cup (~64g) organic cane sugar (or maple syrup to keep refined sugar-free)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
French Toast Directions
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat milk, maple syrup, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, cinnamon, nutmeg, and kosher salt. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish or pie pan.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat with some coconut oil or vegan butter.
- Dunk a slice of bread in the batter for a few seconds on each side, ensuring the bread is soaked. Then flip the bread and repeat.
- Once the skillet is hot, cook each slice of bread for 2 minutes or until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with pure maple syrup and, if desired, the Berry Compote (recipe below). Or, you can add some vegan whipped cream on top!
Simple Berry Compote Directions
- Place the berries, sugar, and orange juice in a saucepan, and cook on medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, gently smashing down the berries as the mixture cooks. Allow the mixture to simmer for an additional 10 minutes until thick and jammy.
- You can prepare the compote in advance and store in the fridge.
This delicious vegan French toast recipe was created by RainbowPlantLife.com, we simply shared it. Please check them out for more great ideas!