- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil or ghee, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise (½ cup)
- 1 green bird’s eye chile, thinly sliced into thin rings
- 2 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 3 cups fresh fenugreek leaves, stems removed
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Indian chile powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Fresh roti*, to serve
- In a medium skillet over low heat, add ½ tablespoon oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, around 10 minutes.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, add the remaining oil, the chile, ginger-garlic paste, coriander, cumin,chile powder and nutmeg, and cook, stirring frequently, just until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and cook until wilted, 3–4 minutes.
- Add the peas and the reserved onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are hot and cooked through, 2–3 minutes more.
- Season to taste with salt, and stir in the cilantro.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve hot, with fresh roti on the side.
This delicious recipe and photos were created by Saveur.com, we simply shared it. Please check them out for more great ideas!