Vegan Popcorn Chicken
- – 2 cups dried soy chunks (TVP chunks work too)
- – 3 cups vegetable broth
- – 2 cloves of garlic, mashed
- – 1 tsp salt
- – 1 inch cube of ginger, grated
- – 1/2 cup flour
- – 3/4 cup vegetable broth (use what you had soaked from the TVP)
- – 1/2 cup cornstarch
- – 1 cup bread crumbs
- – 1 tbsp garlic powder
- – 1 tbsp lemon pepper
- – 1/2 tsp salt
- – For the dip:
- – 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- – 1/3 cup sour cream (use soy sour cream to keep it vegan)
- – dash of salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine soy chunks, mashed garlic, ginger, 1 tsp salt and fill the bowl with vegetable broth until it covers the soy chunks. Soak for about 20 minutes or until the chunks are soft.
- Heat a pot with about an inch of oil on medium high heat.
- Mix together 1/2 cup flour and 3/4 cup vegetable broth from the soaking soy chunks and whisk until no lumps remain. Divide between two bowls.
- Once the chunks are soft and soaked, gently squeeze the excess liquid from the soy chunks and coat in one of the bowls of flour mixture.
- Transfer the chunks to a ziploc bag with 1/2 cup cornstarch. Shake until coated, then transfer to the second bowl of flour mixture, coat, then transfer to another ziploc bag that has the garlic powder, bread crumbs, lemon pepper, and salt.
- Fry the chunks in oil in batches until golden. You may need to push them around to fry all sides because they tend to like to float in one way.
- Remove and drain on a paper towel.
- In a food processor, blend the dill, sour cream, salt and pepper to make the dip.
- Serve the fried chunks with dip and enjoy!
This delicious recipe and photos were created by TheVietVegan.com, we simply shared it. Check them out for more great ideas!